Below are many old pictures
of the old Portland railways.
Click on the images to see them
No. 10179 and 30
197 await to depart from Easton with a six-Coach train
during the afternoon of Saturday 1st March 1952, the last
day of passenger operation on the Easton section.
tank No. 7780 heading towards Weymouth with the branch goods
during August 1955.
Class '2' 2-6-2
tank No. 41324 heads into Red Bridge cutting. This was one
of the last passenger trains to Easton on 27th March 1965.
Here to read an email sent to by the fireman
on this engine Denis Turner.
No.30107 stands amongst the remains of Portland station,
whilst hauling the Railway Enthusiasts Special on 7th June
The new Portland
station under construction.
pre-1910. Two '02' class locomotives shunt trains, the one
nearest the camera hauling a bogie coach and an LSWR close
coupled set. To the extreme left is Portland Goods Junction
signal box, and standing at the end of the siding an LSWR
gas tank wagon.
The original Portland station during the late 1950's.
'02' class No.207
awaits departure from Portland with a Weymouth bound train.
towards Weymouth. To the right is the new Portland signal
box opened in October 1935 and bombed on 11th August 1940.
A view from the
new signal box of 1935 looking towards Portland station, the
new passenger station to the left. The old station served as
a goods shed, centre right. F.J. Barnes stone works can be
seen on the extreme right and behind the two coaches are the
buildings of Portland Gas Works.